Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tim Tebow Moment

Tim Tebow Moment: A point in time when you acknowledge that you are tired of mediocrity, you are feed up with the status quo and as a result (from that moment moving forward) you pledge to reach your full potential.
There are a number of ways college football fans will remember Tim Tebow. By the end of Tim’s career, many would consider him one of the greatest college football players to every play the game. He had won two national titles, a Heisman trophy and had used college football as a platform to minister the gospel. He had become the face of college football.
In the 2008 FedEx BCS Championship game, the Florida Gators defeated the Oklahoma Sooners 24 to 14. Tim Tebow had won his second national title - Florida won the national championship in 2006. Most college football fans would remember the 2008 football season and the BCS championship game for Tim’s second half performance. “Tim Shook off two first-half interceptions and passed for 232 yards and two touchdowns, capped off by his trademark jump pass to David nelson for a 4-yard touchdown to pretty much seal the Sooners’ fate with 3:07 to play. He also rushed for 109 yards on 22 carries. The most he’s carried the ball all season” as described by an ESPN analyst.
With all that being said, the one moment that I believe represents Tim Tebow can be seen during his post game interview after the Florida Gators lost to Ole Miss during the 2008 football season. During the post game interview, Tebow gave a speech which has been named “The Pledge". During that speech, Tim, pledged to work as hard as he could to become a better player. He pledged that the team would perform better. After that speech, Florida never lost a game that season and as stated above won the BCS National title that year. The pledge was so prophetic that The University of Florida has posted a replica in front of the stadium.
Taking a look at that post game interview, I have used it as a teachable moment for my life. So much so, that I have had what I call a “Tim Tebow Moment”. Throughout my journey, there were times when I could not “get over that hump”. There had been times where I felt my success was limited because of a “glass ceiling”.
My Tim Tebow moment occurred a few months after I relocated to DC. While I was reevaluating my career, reevaluating the decisions I had made along my journey, doing inventory on my life, it was then where I realized that I had reached a point where I was pledging to maximize my full potential. That moment was actually different than any other moment I had “attempted to experience” or “attempted to declare” in the past. That moment was real; it was genuine, it was a moment of clarity and that moment is manifesting into reality.
I believe that we all have intentions of doing what’s right and we all have intentions of being “successful”. However, I believe that life tends to derail or yield our progression to reach our full potential. There has to come a point in your life where you pledge to maximize your potential. I believe that the sooner you “buy” into doing what it takes to maximize your potential, the sooner you will reach that goal. My hope is that you reevaluate your current journey and pledge to reach your potential. GOD BLESS!

No comments: